Robin Wiley's Reviews > Foundling

Foundling by D.M. Cornish

Sep 30, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, juvenile-fantasy, love-it-more-than-puppies

Tolkien loved inventing languages, and designed Middle Earth, and wrote Lord of the Rings to have someplace to put those languages.

DM Cornish is an illustrator, and has been drawing characters, creatures and maps for years, and wrote this book to have someplace to put them.

The world, called the Half Continent - is GINORMOUS. The map is roughly 8 x 10, and the book covers about a square inch...of the world, and this is the first book. Lots of potential here.

World of Dickens, with alchemy and iron clads. Humans inhabit walled cities...and the rest is monsters (yes, I am soooo happy). Big ones, and small ones, land monsters, and sea monsters (oooh, did I mention the ocean is made out of toxic acid?). Blood thirsty, lots of teeth and claws.

Characters - a lot of great characters
Magic - more alchemy than magic, but lots of it
Critters - Monsters, monsters everywhere (yay)
Action - a fine amount for a first book, and more to come
Cool Places - it's a haunted, monster covered world - it's all cool

Our hero, Rossamund, is an orphan, who gets enlisted into the service of the Emperor, as a Lamplighter. Keeping the Emperor's road lit and safe for travelers, from all manor of Ooga-Booga's.

I don't think I want to really classify this as a kid's book. This is an incredibly detailed world. Did I mention there is a 120 page Explicarium (Glossary) in the back of the book? Umm...Wow! Don't freak out, you don't have to read it. At the beginning of each chapter, he introduces you to a one new word or phrase, in a tasty, bite-sized dose.

This was just a super, cool book. I'm already on to book 2.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundling.

message 1: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia Great review! Made me super excited to read this!