N_patricia Brunner's Reviews > My Friend Rabbit

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

Oct 03, 10

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in October, 2010

Have you ever had a friend who always seems to have trouble following him wherever he goes? This is the delightful story of: My Friend Rabbit. Mouse, the narrator, begins the story by allowing his friend Rabbit to play with his toy airplane and soon there is a problem. The airplane gets stuck in a tree and Rabbit has a creative solution of getting the plane untangled from the tree branches. He pulls and drags several huge animals, including an elephant, rhino, hippo, moose, alligator, brown bear and a goose to the base of tree. Rabbit then proceeds to stack the animals one on top of each other to reach the airplane. The pile of animals gets so huge that the reader needs to turn the book vertically to view the two-page stack of animals. The pile of precariously stacked animals reaches the airplane, only to have the unhappy animals tumble to the ground. The airplane gets free and Mouse being a true friend convinces the other animals that Rabbit only means well. The story ends with Rabbit and Mouse flying off again only to get stuck again in another tree branch.

This humorous tale combines vibrant hand-colored detailed relief prints with a simple heartwarming text of unconditional friendship. Pre-Kindergarten through second graders will be able to find a connection to this story and will want to view and read it over and over again. Classroom teachers will want to read it to their classes for themes of friendship, easy-to-read text and expressive illustrations.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Friend Rabbit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by N_Allie (new)

N_Allie l I think this is an excellent review of this book! With such little text in the book, you were able to really summarize this book with not much help (from the book itself!) I also really appreciated how you gave me examples of how to use this book in class. You were also ablle to summarize this book in a fun, enthralling way. Will be using this book! Thank you!

message 2: by N_maheenayub (new)

N_maheenayub This book sounds like it would be a fun and humorous read, while still highlighting important themes. This would definitely be a good read aloud and one to add to a center for students to reread.