Casey's Reviews > The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?

The Advanced Genius Theory by Jason Hartley

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, music-related
Read from September 30 to October 13, 2010

It wasn't until I read the Klosterman foreward that I remembered his Esquire column on Advanced Theory. The column was confusing so it's helpful having the theory explained here by one of the pizza-fueled creators (so I won't try and explain it myself). The book is a fun pop-culture read and zips through many notable musicians, filmmakers, actors, and artists of the later half of the 20th Century.

It seems like disagreeing with the (sometimes arbitrary) theory is part of the fun considering it is designed to encourage debate about people whose greatness (or fall from greatness) is generally not debated. The theory is very artist-friendly, almost to a fault due to the fact that it ascribes artistic vision to almost every endeavor and ignores greed. I think there's a weird balance that a lot of these artists fall into where they're artists with an advanced goal/mission but they also need to keep up their rich dude hobbies that their overt period have afforded them.

All in all this was a good read and probably the most enjoyable book I've won through first reads. Jason has a funny voice and presents some concise minibios here in service of his theory. He also signed the free book I won (pretty overt move though).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Advanced Genius Theory.