Alicia's Reviews > Rivers of Gold: A Novel

Rivers of Gold by Adam Dunn

Oct 17, 10

bookshelves: first-reads, science-fiction
Read from October 09 to 17, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Won this book in a firstreads giveaway. The premise sounded very interesting, but I was sorely disappointed in the execution. The fact that it was set in 2013 was a little too unbelievable for me. Granted, I think that was the point, but for me, it made it difficult for the story to seem real. This just would not happen in 2013. Not only the plot but a lot of the details, as well.

The characters were done well, and I certainly sympathized with both Santiago and Renny. However, towards the end of the novel Renny's actions seemed, out of character and lot of the events surrounding his plot line, were again, unbelievable, slightly ludicrous and just too convenient for a novel type purpose. In addition, the More character was horrid. Dunn needed to spend more time figuring him out before putting him in a story. Sometimes we loved him, sometimes hate, as did Santiago, but I feel as though the reader needs to more "in." Here, we didn't get that, we were also flip-flopping about feelings for More and so I ended up just despising him because Santiago couldn't really figure out his feelings for him. Additionally, it seemed like that was accidentally done, like we were supposed to think Santiago had decided to like him.

This leads me to my largest issue with this novel. It was confusing. Really confusing. Again, science fiction/ dystopias often are, but this was unnecessarily so. I felt like the author wanted to add in extra fun info to show us either how much he knew or just how much he could make up. This didn't work for such a short novel, with such a directed plot line. It seemed like the novel was to just 'to the point' but a lot of the details added confusion and useless detail to the plot.

Also, I feel like this novel pandered to a lot of stereotypes, but it may have been the type of book to want to do that, such as a romance. Or perhaps that the author didn't feel the need/ desire/ ability to create a stronger female character. Though the Yersenia/ N twist was clever.

So basically, read this is (a) you have nothing else to read on your bookshelf and every single bookstore is closed (b) someone you love wants you to read it (c) you got it for free on Goodreads and therefore feel like you must finish it, to review it and finally know what the heck is going on, but it doesn't really tell you ever anyways

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of Gold.