Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > The 12 Erotic Tales of Lucy Locks

2043222
Nov 04, 2010

liked it
Read in November, 2010

I like the premise of this book:
A paranormal ghost hunting team visits an old asylum and discovers a journal left by a doctor from the '40s. His patient was schizophrenic and delusional and her sessions with the doctor are listed in the journal.

I received this copy as an ARC, so it's pre-edit, and pre-pub.
I only say this because I won't be commenting on spelling, grammar or sentence structure (ex. stole away vs. stow away).

That being said, I really like the premise of this book. So much so that I'm giving it 3 stars even though I hated Dr. Conrad (hint-we're supposed to so I'm not being a jerk!) and I think that the word "erotic" in the title is a bit of a misnomer. Note to book sellers: This is NOT an erotica novel, please don't file it as such.

What happens is, that the private journal of Dr. Conrad is found by a paranormal investigative team and the lead investigator reads it. Wow. We are first introduced to Miss Lucy Locks as Dr. Conrad is interviewing her about an escape attempt from the asylum she's housed in. He is trying to understand why she repeatedly attempts these failed escapes.

As we get to know Dr. Conrad and Lucy, we find out that he was a friend of her father's and he'd watched her grow up.

We also see her escape attempts are more than just attempts at attaining freedom, but also are her escape from the world.

"Do you have an erotic fantasy to share, Lucy? One you experienced last night?
"I don't know about erotic fantasy. But I fell in love last night."

We see her being a delusional young girl, but as the journal progresses, we see that perhaps she isn't so delusional.

We also see the good doctor perhaps isn't so good... (Highland Hussy zips her lips against the 2 big giant spoilers).

I thought the delusions for what was actually happening to her were a great cover, and escape for poor Lucy's mind. The demon that always dragged Lucy back to her reality was a great concept! But Dr. Perv-o drove me nuts! It's hard to read in first person when you hate that person!

The only things I didn't like were:
The erotic tales weren't so erotic.
The mystery housed within her delusions could have been alluded to sooner.
And I didn't like how a few times I felt as if the author were taking mocking stabs at the romance genre.

"These types of stories always lose their steam after the pent up romantic friction has boiled over."

And that could totally be me misrepresenting the passage, but there were several and that's how it came off to me.

So, being that I got this as an ARC, and as a response to a review of this author's previous book Cupid's Overlook, I would now like to thank the author for letting me read this one as well.

***There's an author's note in the back of the book, and I really wanted to say in reference to that, "Thank you, and you more than made it up to me." I hope that this one does well.

review up at http://www.demonloversbooksandmore.co...
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 12 Erotic Tales of Lucy Locks.

10/31/2010 page 16
10.0% "I'm intrigues by this one-the journal of a psychiatrist in an asylum during the 40s-the delusional stories of the girl are the main premise"
11/01/2010 page 63
39.0% "I can't decide whether I like this one or not. on one hand it's got a crazy cool concept, and on the other it almost seems as if someone who's never read a romance or erotica novel decided to write erotica into his story. hmm.." 2 comments
11/01/2010 page 162
100.0% "working on a rating...this book has a ton of potential."

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Great review Laurie!
I know she has nothing to do with this story but when I read this quote, "I don't know about erotic fantasy. But I fell in love last night." I thought of Marilyn Monroe, dont know why :)

The story seems interesting though. My mind has already started working on all the Law and Order: svu scenarios about the doc lol.

Laura the Highland Hussy Hi G!
What I liked about that quote, is that's how Lucy's mind rationalized all the sexual stuff that happened.

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah Great review, Laurie! It sounds kinda interesting and I'm glad you liked it.

ME TOO! LOL! That doctor sounds so freaking creepy.

Laura the Highland Hussy Dude! I totally should have added that there's an epilogue where the paranormal investigator shows the journal to his girlfriend, he's had it for months before he shows her, and she leaves him!

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah LMAO! You totally should have! You know, I am curious to read this just to see if I would like it or not. From the way you were describing it, it sounds interesting and weird at the same time.

Laura the Highland Hussy I'll send it out to you, it's a fast read since his writing is short sweet and to the point

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL. Okay, sounds good. Maybe by the time I read it, I'll have decided whether I think that note at the end for you is creepy or cool, LOL.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Laurie, yes, isn't the human mind just amazing and so scary at the same time? So much can happen in there..

Leah, LOL. Right? When Laurie called him a perv and we're supposed to hate him and he's known her all her life?? This is an episode right there! :)

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah That's like FIVE episodes, Gokce! They could do an ongoing storyline with this guy! LOL

Laura the Highland Hussy He's her trusted psychiatrist and he's the reason for her delusions and psychosis!

Soo, L & O SVU indeed!! cross that with Ghost Hunters and we've got a great thriller! I really hope the author reads this and fleshes out his novella into a crime novel-that would be a 5 star read!!

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah Good Lord! That's even worse! D:

LOL! That would certainly make for an interesting TV show! I hope so, too, Laurie, because from what you've said, it would be better in that format.

Has anyone else ever noticed how creepy the saying "flesh it out" is? Maybe it's just me. My English teacher used to say it ALL THE TIME sophomore year and it freaked me the hell out, LOL

Laura the Highland Hussy thats cuz you have a potty mind Leah ;) (wink wink, wanna pick up the time share in the gutter with me?)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL. Leah you're right, that could definitely be an ongoing story.

And Laurie, I think making this a mix with Ghost Hunters is an awesome idea! LOL. I'd definitely go see this thriller!!

I don't think I've heard that before, I was almost afraid to look it up :P

Laura the Highland Hussy Lol!! G you've got a potty mind too!!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I'm not even gonna pretend to deny that Laurie! ;D

message 17: by Leah (new)

Leah How much would I have to pay for the time share? Because I'm totally in!

LMAO, Gokce! I just hate that saying. It freaks me the hell out. LOL

Laura the Highland Hussy okay so I'll change it to "expand the passages" jeez, picky picky

message 19: by Leah (new)

Leah LOL! Don't change it on my account. I'll just cringe whenever I read it, LOL ;P