Katyana's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: abuse, dark, fantasy, girly-books, kleenex-required, pnr, series, vampires
Read from July 29 to 31, 2012

This one is really rough for me to try and evaluate, and it's possible I should take some time to digest before attempting a review, but... I've learned that if I don't do it in the immediate aftermath of a book, I won't do it.

So, let's start with the good: Vishous and Jane

I love them. What can I say about Vishous? I've loved Vishous for a few books now, and his whole arc with Butch in the last book was just heart-rending. And Jane was really the perfect woman for him, in every way. Brilliant, brave (and I mean fearless, but not in a TSTL way), compassionate, strong, I really just loved Jane.

But there were a lot of things I just wasn't sold on.

Firstly, I would like to state for the record that there is are a couple recurring themes in the BDB series that sort of bum me out, and one is the idea that humans are just so much less. You got an intro to that with Beth in book 1 (half-breed, oh noes!), more with Mary in book 2 (full human! :O ), LOTS with Butch (so much lamentation that he was never good enough as a human - couldn't be a Brother, couldn't mate Marissa, couldn't protect, couldn't feed, blah blah blah), and now with Jane. The human characters are all to be pitied, can't be relied on, etc etc. It gets a little tiresome, to have them have to strain to become vampires to even be taken seriously. Now, Jane doesn't strain to be a vampire, so that's at least not the case here, but... she's still treated as less. She's "handled" when the vamps feel like it (in the beginning, as a kidnap victim), her life is rearranged, her mind is fucked with, ugh. I mean, sometimes I honestly wonder if the lessers don't have the right idea. Don't get me wrong, clearly the lessers and the Omega are evil, but what do the vampires bring to the planet, aside from rampant ego? They treat humans like inferior toys. Bring on Buffy, for reals.

The other recurring theme that has me, frankly, taking a break from this series after this book is the horrible treatment of women. Getting a look at how the Scribe Virgin treats her Chosen women, for all intents and purposes her priestesses... are you fucking kidding me? They are prized cattle. Bound, gagged, and blindfolded... and then LITERALLY offered up on a platter for men to have sex with as they wish. I was utterly, utterly disgusted. I've never been a fan of the SV, as you know, but this made me much less of a fan. What use is she, honestly? She fucks up everyone's lives, she keeps women enslaved, she's a total bitch... no. And I'd also like to state for the record that her Hail Mary pass at the end of this book did not win me over. Sorry. Too little, too late. She remains Queen Bitch in my book. Any goddess that has the utter subjugation of women as part of her dogma can piss off, in my book... much less all the other shitty stuff we've seen her do in this series. Also, (view spoiler)

Also, not sure that I am so down with the HEA in this one. I just... don't know that it works for me. Seems like the only real HEAs in this series are the ones where you fated mate happens to also be a vampire.

And lastly, I really thought that in this book, the secondary plot lines felt like they eclipsed the major plot line. E-fucking-nough with Phury (he gets his own book ffs!) and John Matthews. It was made worse that their stories felt so circular - just going round and round, spinning the same damn wheels over and over. I wish that Vishous and Jane got, oh I don't know, at least 50% of the page time in the book... but it sure feels like they got about 30%. Tiresome.

So... 4 stars for me. Though Vishous and Jane will always be *5* in my book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user V and Jane's HEA was a deus ex machina, imo. She's reaching for a ways for a human/vampire couple to work knowing that one will die way earlier (unless I'm misremembering and vamps are not immortal in BDB. It's been a while.) But I did like JM and his side story. :D Oh, and Manny!

Katyana Agreed, it was a deus ex machina, exactly for that reason. I don't dislike JM, but his story has been spinning these exact same wheels for two books now, and I'm yawning. Ah well.