Katherine's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

RATING: 3.5 Out Of 5

First of all I will start by saying that this series is really not what it used to be... It’s not as good as the three original novels; city bones, city of ashes and city of glass. In my opinion the 3rd novel should have been the last as it had a perfect ending. Nothing more needed to be said or added to the story, but obviously Clare felt like she had to keep going and book 4 was than a major disappointment, because I felt she had written the novel just to write it. Book 5 City of Lost Souls, whilst it was a enjoyable read I still feel that Clare is running out of ideas and keeps coming up with stupid concepts (with the last novel having Jace possessed - really stupid!) and now with this novel we see Jace connected to Sebastian (give me a break); what kills one than kills the other/what hurts one hurts the other. So the group must come up with a way to severe the link without killing Jace. But aside from the sillyness of this, the novel was still an enjoyable one and written quite well.

However there were chapters that I skipped and that was the chapters that were from Jordan and Maia’s POV, I didn’t really care about these characters and found them quite boring so I found myself skipping their parts. I think most readers will agree with me, that you can’t have chapters from these characters POV when readers just want to hear from Clary, Simon’s and Alec’s POV. We haven’t grown up with the characters that are Jordan and Maia, so readers won’t want to read about them.

I wish the chapters from Alec's POV was from Magnus's instead. It’s Magnus we like reading about not Alec. On that note, Alec becomes very annoying in this novel, and most readers will hate Alec at the end of this novel, I know I did. I was very happy with the chapters from Simon’s POV; I think everyone loves reading about Simon, him and his humour.

Here are some good quotes I liked.

Great Quotes

"What are you doing here, little sis?"

"'Clary' He said, stroking her face tenderly. 'Can you promise me that you won't scream?'"

"I'm going to take a cold shower"

"Is there any of the real Jace still in there? Is there anything left to save?"

”Who knew you could be such a spit fire in bed?”

Readers, guess what!! There are hints about the Clockwork novels!!

Connections to Infernal Devices Series:

"A pendant in the shape of an angel whose wings were clockwork cogs and gears" - which gives us the question how did Tessa's necklace end up at the institute??? Especially since we know she is still alive as she popped up for two seconds in the previous novel??? Hmm

"'I arranged it through Magnus. A silent brother was present, someone sworn to secrecy, and a female warlock who took the place of the iron sister.'

'Clary looked at her curiously 'Who was the female warlock?'"
- is this Tessa they are talking about?????

"Across from it was a long dedication, the ink faded now and barely legible, though Clary could make out the signature: With hope at last, William Herondale." Hmmmmm???? Wonder what this means, did Will write this about Tess???

The reason I gave this 4 stars, is because I gave book 4, city of fallen angels 3.5, and this novel was better than that. So 4 stars it is.

All in all, most M.I readers will enjoy this novel. There are lots of references to ‘heavenly fire’ – being fire from heaven, in case anyone was wondering. So it sounds like Angels will play a dominate part in the next novel City Of Heavenly Fire. I really hope Clare doesn’t again come up with a stupid concept to play a large role in the last novel, because that would be very disappointing, especially because the next one is the last one. Only time will tell. Sucks we have to wait 2 years for the next one though. In the mean time, bring on Clockwork Princess!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

05/14/2012 page 1
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bianca I can't stop going back and looking at it. :D

message 2: by Kass (new)

Kass  -Fallen Angel- The cover is beautiful, It may be the fact that jace is there:P Lol

Bianca :D hahaa yes maybe... I had finally stopped thinking about this series, now my excitement for it is back all over again. Four months to wait still though. :/

message 4: by Kass (new)

Kass  -Fallen Angel- I know that sucks. Im super excited for it

Yousra So I finished the book. Let me know what you think of it when your done. I won't say anything now, because I might ruin it.

Katherine Hey Girls, YES the cover is amazing!!
Im so excited to who whats going to be on the cover with the last one! Only one more book to go, Im also looking forward to clockwork princess (as i like this series better than the m.i)
I have now finished it Yousra! Will write my review soon and look forward to your thoghts.

message 7: by Kass (new)

Kass  -Fallen Angel- Omg was it good!! I haven't read it yet :(

Katherine Yes it was good... but not as good as the original 3. But still very good.

Katherine Ill have my review up soon i promise :)

message 10: by Kass (new)

Kass  -Fallen Angel- yaay!:) cant wait to read it

Katherine review is up people!!! :)

Yousra I have to say I absolutely agree with you, though the connection Jace had with Sebastian wasn't all that silly in my eyes. Also I agree 100% on the parts regarding Maia and Jordan. Not only were they new characters that didn't have the main parts in the story, but I also feel like they are hardly developed. Whenever they are together it's the same thing. Not many meaningful words are exchanged between them. I really found it obnoxious. Also like you said first three books were definately awesome!