Nan's Reviews > Pippa Passes

Pippa Passes by Rumer Godden

Oct 02, 2010

liked it
Read from September 29 to October 02, 2010

A "coming-of-age" book that begins in innocence, only hinting at a darker future, and ends in the complexities of early adulthood, with a timeframe of about a week. It's also a reminder that danger and that which rescues us from danger can be closely related. The author uses a device I'd never noticed before--relating the thoughts of a character and then quoting another in what he/she would've said had the thoughts been spoken aloud. Clever way to let the reader in on things.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pippa Passes.

09/29/2010 page 1
09/30/2010 page 46
24.0% "Lovely, charming story, but with hints of something dark around the corner. I've been to Venice (the setting) a couple of times, and I love being able to picture it again."

message 1: by Marti (new)

Marti I read Up to the Beautiful North and really enjoyed it. I am currently teaching an Elem. Span 101 class at SFCC and one of their requirements is to write a paper on immigration. I laughed out loud at some of the Spanish/English double meanings. It was very entertaining and insightful. I thought the characters were developed nicely and you felt empathy with them.
Hasta luego,
p.s Dennis Costigan passed away last week.

message 2: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan Beautiful North is a good book--interesting premise, well-written. And the twists and turns of the plot never failed to surprise, don't you agree? One of my friends is presently reading "The Devil's Highway" by the same author. I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Costigan. Stay in touch!

message 3: by Shiela (new)

Shiela Hanlon I so enjoy your reviews-- every one of them-- but am amazed at the number of books you read. Do you use the Evelyn Woods method? Seriously.

message 4: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan No, actually I don't. In fact the idea of "speed-reading" offends me. It would be like taking all your nutrition in pill form. I like to savor my reading (and my food!). I read for maybe 30 minutes or an hour upon going to bed, hubby doing the same beside me. I might read more in the middle of the night if I find I can't sleep, but that's about it for my reading.

And I enjoy writing my version of reviews. I know they're not analytical and deep like those of some of the Goodreads folks. But it does make me do more thinking about why I liked or disliked a book knowing I'm going to put something on the website. I only wish my friends would review some books themselves for MY enjoyment!

message 5: by Shiela (new)

Shiela Hanlon I promise I will review a book for you, very soon.

message 6: by Shiela (new)

Shiela Hanlon OK... I reviewed a book for you. See my review of "A Gate at the Stairs" by Lorrie Moore.