Mandy's Reviews > Nothing

Nothing by Janne Teller

Oct 04, 10

bookshelves: teen
Read from September 29 to October 01, 2010

Wow. Wow. This book was not what I thought it would be at ALL. 13 year old Pierre Anthon walks out of his homeroom class one day basically telling everyone: "None of this crap means anything, your stuff means nothing, life is nothing, and I'm gonna go climb into a plum tree and throw stuff at you to show you how stupid you are for caring about life" (paraphrase).

And he stays in the plum tree.

The other students start plotting ways to get him down out of the tree. And that's when things get wacky. They start trying to figure out how to convince him that SOMEthings mean SOMEthing, not Everything means Nothing, as he's trying to say.

And let's just say: it gets brutal. I was sitting on my couch, mouth wide open saying, "OMG OMG OMG"

It is an amazing book. I have about 10 pages left and I can still tell you, this book is crazy-good and just plain crazy. It's interpreted from Danish so there are some obvious "Whoa, this doesn't take place in America" moments but it's easy to comprehend.

I can't honestly say who I would give this book to- it's a Teen book, but it's intense. So I would suggest you all read it, and you tell ME who you'd give it to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing.

message 1: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby I would like to read this.

On a separate note, since you are a librarian who knows books, what would you recommend for a 5th grader who reads on a 9th grade level? (She is 10 years old.) I have a student whose parents are having trouble finding appropriate content at her reading level.

Mandy Hey! That's a tough situation. I would suggest classics. CS Lewis, The Secret Garden, The Borrowers, that kind of thing. At work I have a list of Clean Reads I'll try to send you when I get the chance.

message 3: by Libby (new) - added it

Libby That sounds great! Thank you!