Jennifer Wardrip's Reviews > Girl in the Arena

Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines

Reviewed by Karin Librarian for TeensReadToo.com

In today's society, we enjoy brutal sports like World Wrestling Entertainment and the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Imagine, if you will, a world where we also couldn't wait for the next gladiator match.

Lyn lives in just such a world. In fact, she is deeply entrenched in the Glad lifestyle. Lyn's mother has had seven husbands - all Glad fighters. She has been widowed six times, her husbands always dying in the arena. Her latest husband, Tommy, is set to fight in a championship battle against Uber, a young up-and-comer in the Neo-Glad world.

When the worst possible thing happens and Tommy is killed in the fight, Lyn, her mother, and her brother are left in a desperate situation. Either Lyn marries Uber and becomes a Glad Wife, or the family loses everything. Lyn must look deep within herself to decide what she is willing to do.

I really enjoyed reading GIRL IN THE ARENA, even though the writing style took a little getting used to. The only reason it didn't get 5 Stars is the ending. It seems a little rushed and leaves too much up in the air. GIRL IN THE ARENA doesn't seem to need a sequel, so the reader will be left with their questions forever.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in the Arena.