Debbie's Reviews > The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy

The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy by Mary Lydon Simonsen

Sep 29, 10

bookshelves: historical, romance
Read in September, 2010

"The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy" is a historical romance set in 1808 in England, and it's a "Pride and Prejudice" re-write. The author referred to several historical events occurring outside of England and had them affect the characters in the story, but she generally didn't delve deeply into the day-to-day historical aspects.

The characters weren't faithful portrayals of those in "Pride and Prejudice." In this version, Mr. Darcy had a couple of mistresses before meeting Lizzy. The author made Lizzy's family poorer and of lesser social class. And while Lizzy had wit, it's a different kind of wit. The characters also forgave all wrongs and fell in love much more quickly than in the "Pride and Prejudice" timelime. In fact, multiple events were changed slightly though the overall framework was maintained.

The author did assume the reader was familiar with the original story. She mainly filled in the scenes that Jane Austen didn't write. She also created a number of new characters and had them play major roles. Even though the story "wasn't really 'Pride and Prejudice,'" I enjoyed her characters and her version of events.

The author would sometimes start a new section with a new point-of-view character but jump back in time without clearly indicating this backward time change. This was confusing. The beginning was a little slow because it mainly summarized events, but once Lizzy and Darcy meet in Kent, the story was quite engaging. Most of the story was about the events at Kent and afterward.

There was a minor amount of British and American bad language. There were a few, very brief, vaguely explicit lustful thoughts on Darcy's part, but no sex. Overall, I'd recommend this novel to "Pride and Prejudice" fans as enjoyable reading.

Note: This review was based on an advanced reader's copy from the publisher, so changes may have been made between this version and the final version. In fact (see the comments), the author has informed me that the beginning "has been trimmed up quite a bit since the advanced readers copies went out" so the beginning should no longer be "a little slow."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Debbie, I'm glad that you enjoyed my story. It seems my editor agreed with you that "the beginning was a little slow," and it has been trimmed up quite a bit since the advanced readers copies went out. :) Mary

Debbie Great to hear. I'll make sure to mention that in my blog review (which will post Dec. 30). And I should have mentioned in my reviews that I was reviewing an ARC for this very reason. I'll make sure to in the future.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Debbie. That would be helpful, and I appreciate you getting back to me. :) Mary