Gail Carriger's Reviews > The Native Star

The Native Star by M.K. Hobson

May 23, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, historical, victorian-books, steampunk
Read from August 04 to 10, 2010, read count: 1

Review pertains to an uncorrected galley given me to blurb by the editor.

A delightful Gaslight Fantasy romp set slightly later in time than The Parasol Protectorate series and in, as you may have gathered, the heathen Americas. It features parochial upstart witch, Emily Edwards, and the deliciously named Dreadnaught Stanton.

I enjoyed this book immensely. It took me a little while to get into it and I had a few problems with info-dumps, but it takes A LOT for me to even finish a book these days. I not only finished this, I carved out time in order to do so. I adored the relationship between Emily and Dreadnaught, and I was absorbed by the mixing of historical and magical details building a colorfully different and yet entirely plausible Old West. I mean, come on, zombie gold miners with a kill switch? Brilliant!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Native Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becca I tried the sample Kindle chapters and couldn't get into it. But reading your review, I wonder if I should give it another try?

Gail Carriger It was a slow starter. Once she leaves the countryside is picks up the pace.

Corrina Do give it a try, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this book even with the slow start. I haven't picked up #2 yet, but it's on my list.

message 4: by Becca (new) - added it

Becca Boschee Zombies and the Old West? Count me in!

Gail Carriger I didn't even know there was a number 2!

Corrina The Hidden Goddess - it's got another nifty cover too. I'm especially intrigued by the "sociopathic socialite" for a future mother-in-law. Really, how can you go wrong with that in the mix? HA!

message 7: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin >>A delightful Gaslight Fantasy romp set slightly later in time than The Parasol Protectorate series and in, as you may have gathered, the heathen Americas.<<
You know us so well. I'm so flattered. :-)