Kate's Reviews > Enthusiasm

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

Sep 29, 10

Read in September, 2010

Shulman's first book plays with the ideas of love referencing Jane Austen and Shakespeare. For this book (which is more of a 3.5 stars) I would say it's playful and sometimes makes you rethink certain events as to who is flirting with who. I believe it can be appreciated by many groups (but is definitely best for middle and high schoolers). I had my gut instincts on who was falling for who, and had to rethink it a few times. A fun book with great characters, who make you think of your own friend's quirks. I still kept returning to what I believed would be the ending and as it turns out it was correct. Mainly because I kept on doubting my instincts when foils appeared in the book; that I kept reading to the finale. I would say it could have been more Austenesque if there had been more clever banter between the characters. Banter after all can make a person reveal unexpected things, but also hides true intentions to others. But then again I prefer love-hate relationships in stories. Overall, it is a rather short, but good novel for those who like light teen romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enthusiasm.