Amy's Reviews > How the Irish Saved Civilization

How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill

Jan 13, 08

bookshelves: past-read
Recommended to Amy by: my dear dad
Recommended for: Irish, Irish lovers, travelers, historians, dreamers, lovers of literature
Read in March, 2003

I spent a semester studying on the rugged west coast of Ireland, utterly immersed in the culture.

My college owns a line of houses in a tiny village in Ireland, and for nearly 40 years they've paid the villagers to keep it in good condition for the yearly crop of foreigners who descend on it, like me, for four months every year.

The experience itself was wonderful, but preparing for it and the anticipation were almost MORE fun. I read this book with that spirit in mind. I learned how St. Patrick brought Christianity to the Irish and transformed their culture. I learned how the monks became scribes and preserved precious Irish tradition and lore.

Imagine the strength of character required to take something like that on? It's amazing to me how people can be so tenacious in the face of near ruin. That spirit absolutely remains with them, and I like to think it rubbed off a little on me.

Now, flipping through the familiar pages of this book, it's almost like paying that little country a visit. I'm transported back to an amazing time, seeing the faces of those amazing people and falling in love all over again:)
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Irish Saved Civilization.

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I was in Ireland too in the late 1950s.

I wrote a bit about what I saw in two of my books:

(You can click the above links to read both books entirely.)