Madeleine's Reviews > The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain: New Poems

The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain by Charles Bukowski

1198255
Sep 29, 2010

bookshelves: head-in-the-clouds-nose-in-a-book, leave-the-rhyming-to-the-pros, hank-chinaski, 2011, our-libeary
Read from July 06 to 12, 2011

As much as I love the fire and beerspit of Buk's early works, the honest beauty and abrupt wit of his poems are most evident in his later stuff. Bukowski wears the perspective of an older man well.

This collection was a bit more structured than others I've read, both in terms of the book's arrangement (there was a deliberate and apparent pattern in the poems' organization) and in the actual construction of the poems -- form isn't something I've come to expect from literature's favorite dirty old man. It was a little jarring and it did make the flow drag a bit in patches.

A turbulent history and failing health clearly are the driving forces behind these collected works. But instead of falling into sentimental stickiness, the dryly humorous observations Bukowski does so well are expertly executed here. At an age when most writers are losing the best of their art, Buk's showing that his lifetime was spent becoming a master of the craft.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain.

07/08/2011 page 66