N.E. White's Reviews > A Darkness Forged in Fire

A Darkness Forged in Fire by Chris  Evans

Sep 28, 10

A story with 'iron' elves? Elves that shoot guns. Not just any gun, but a musket with powder, rod, ball, and everything. Kind of...weird, to say the least.

When I first picked up Chris Evans' A Darkness Forged in Fire, Book One of the Iron Elves in a used book stored, I was a little suspect about the whole premise of the story. The idea of having musket-wielding elves didn't quite sit right in the mind. Nothing inherently wrong with the idea, but not entirely right, either. So, it took me awhile to get around to reading the 615 page book.

Though a little rough in places, A Darkness Forged in Fire is a fun read. The things Evans' gets right are the use of weaponry, awesome dark creatures, the complexity of war, and characters. His characters just rang true for me and I would gladly follow any of their stories. Some of his 'magical' transitions and descriptions could use some explaining, but overall, a good book to lose yourself in. Evans' paints a world filled with magical creatures and muskets. Cool combo.

Recommendation: read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Darkness Forged in Fire.