AJ's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

U 50x66
Nov 16, 12

bookshelves: food, political-stuff
Read in November, 2012

I read this one aloud to Jun, so it took a very long time to get through. We read off and on for about 8 months. So, the review may be changed by the long gaps we took in between chapters. Perhaps the overall impact of the book is greater if you read it all the way through in a shorter period of time.

This was quite a good book, and of course very shocking. Some of the corruption and nastiness in the food industry (especially fast food and meat, as covered in-depth in the book) is amazing. We like to think that the U.S. doesn't have the corruption that exists in other nations, but we do - it just tends to be hidden from the public better.

Very eye opening, and thoroughly enjoyable. It covers a lot of the same ground as many other food books in the past decade, but since it was written 12 years ago it's got to be one of the first to make the intricacies of fast food accessible to the public. This version also had the updated afterword written recently, which was very interesting to read.

I definitely recommend this one. It's still hard to say no to fast food sometimes, though, even though a lot of the stuff in this book will make you want to never step foot in a fast food restaurant - or sometimes any restaurant - ever again.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby If you haven't read the Omnivore's Dilemma, I highly recommend it. It's along the same lines except its about the stuff you get at the grocery store.

message 2: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ I've read about 3/4 of it... but haven't finished it yet! I really enjoyed what I read so far.