Jim's Reviews > Sons and Lovers

Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: 20th-century-lit
Read in September, 2010

For some reason, I have read only some of the lesser known works of D. H. Lawrence. I thought I would redress the balance by reading a Kindle version while I was traveling through several Canadian National Parks in the Rocky Mountains.

Sons and Lovers is the story of Walter and Gertrude Morel, a Midlands coal miner and his wife, concentrating on their relationship with their four children, especially the artistic Paul. As he grows up, Paul yearns to be free -- and yet is emotionally dependent on his mother. He falls in love with two women, Miriam and Clara, and can't seem to decide between them.

I was impressed by the fact that D.H. Lawrence avoided cheating by resting his thumb too heavily on the scales. I found Paul's difficulties in love to be true to life in their complexity, and yet compelling enough to keep me reading. There was no feeling of "Why doesn't he make up his mind?"

Perhaps the family relationships of the Morels are a bit antiquated for some tastes, but then books written a century ago tend to be that way. If that's a problem for you, then pick up your cell phone or MP3 player and plug yourself into a way of life that will be viewed as a sick joke a hundred years from now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sons and Lovers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justeenetta (new)

Justeenetta I'm reading a selected letters of lawrence, hoping he doesn't bother my life as he did when I was a yhoung adult. I find the letters as usual, wonderful in style & description of nature, rather hard on his friends, alwas traveling in poverty which was never a good idea with his health, he should have stayed in nm when he was there, bur he made the mystake of attempting to begin a sexual relationship with his biggest fan & supporter & best friend, not a good idea at any vigor of health, she went back to his ranch & remained there, he & frieda stayed in europe.
wasn't a good idea to rip off frieda from a friend either, though he was very young then & madly in love.