Sarah's Reviews > Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Aug 24, 14

bookshelves: favorite-series
Read from July 15 to 17, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're getting your weird all over me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Many, many readers have written asking me wistfully about the nature of Sam and Grace's relationship, and I can assure you, that sort is absolutely real. Mutual, respectful, enduring love is completely attainable as long as you swear you won't settle for less.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He sounded absolutely miserable. “Are you ever going to speak to me?”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I didn’t know how I could live with that knowledge, without it eating me up, without it poisoning every happy memory I had of growing up. Without it ruining everything Beck and I had.
I didn’t understand how someone could be both God and the devil. How the same person could destroy you and save you. When everything I was, good and bad, was knotted with threads of his making, how was I supposed to know whether to love or hate him?”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I was trying to decide if you still had free will as a wolf. If I was a terrible person for planning to drug my girlfriend and drag her back to my house to keep in the basement.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“People don't change who they are. They only change what they do with it.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sam Roth, you bastard," Cole said. There was admiration in his voice, which probably meant I'd made a poor decision.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Suddenly, Shelby started, at the same time that we heard Cole's voice across the backyard: "Clear off, you psychotic bitch!"
She slid off into the darkness as the back door slammed.
"Thanks, Cole," I said. "That was incredibly subtle."
"That," replied Cole, "is one of my finest traits.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Cole kissed me.. It was the sort of kiss that would take a long time to recover from. You could take each of our kisses, from the very first moment we'd met and put them on a slide in a microscope, and I was pretty sure what you'd find. Even an expert would see nothing on the first one, and then on the next one, the start of something - mostly outnumbered, easily destroyed - and then more and more until finally this one, something that even the untrained eye could spot. Evidence that we'd probably never be cured of each other, but we might be able to keep it from killing us.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Beneath me, the bed tipped as Cole edged closer. I felt him lean over me. His breath, warm and measured, hit my cheek. Two breaths. Three. Four. I didn't know what I wanted. Then I heard him stop breathing, and a second later, I felt his lips on my mouth.

It wasn't the sort of kiss I'd had with anyone before. This kiss was so soft it was like a memory of a kiss, so careful on my lips that it was like someone running his fingers along them. My mouth parted and stilled; it was so quiet, a whisper, not a shout. Cole's hand touched my neck, thumb pressed into the skin next to my jaw. It wasn't a touch that said I want more. It was a touch that said I want this.
It was all completely soundless. I didn't think either of us was breathing. Cole sat back up, slowly, and I opened my eyes. His expression, as ever, was blank. The face he wore when something mattered.
He said "That's how I would kiss you, if I loved you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She attempted to turn again; I held on. I wasn't holding tight enough to keep her, but she wasn't pulling hard enough to get away.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“And then I did laugh, even though the future was a dangerous place, because I loved her, and she loved me, and the world was beautiful.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're the nicest boy ever,", I told him, feeling undeserving and terrible. "You didn't have to get me anything. I like thinking about you thinking about me when I'm not around.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“In the darkness, he is invisible, but I can still feel him beside me. Sometimes you don't have to see something to know it is there.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I hated this. I hated knowing what I wanted and knowing what was right and knowing they weren't the same thing.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“If I only have ten minutes, Sam, this is what I want to say. You're not the best of us. You're more than that. You're better than all of us. If I only have ten minutes, I would tell you to go out there and live. I'd say...please take your guitar and sing your songs to as many people as you can. Please fold a thousand more of those damn birds of yours. Please kiss that girl a million times.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Overhead, the stars were wheeling and infinite, a complicated mobile made by giants.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Mutual, respectful, enduring love is completely attainable as long as you swear you won't settle for less.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd learned a long time ago that one of the finest weapons in my arsenal was my ability to invade personal space”
tags: cole

Maggie Stiefvater
“People shouldn't have to earn kindness. They should have to earn cruelty.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You're assuming they would listen to me," I said.
Cole lifted his hands off the roof of the Volkswagen; cloudy fingerprints evaporated seconds ater he did. "We all listen to you, Sam."
He jumped to the pavement. "You just don't always talk to us.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Then I picked my book back up again and stroked her hair and read to the soundtrack of her breaths.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Poor bastards," Cole said, his gaze still on the stars. "They must get pretty tired of watching us make the same damn mistakes all the time.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It wasn’t a touch that said I need more. It was a touch that said I want this.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“How long it takes us, each day, to know each other.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Some people see what they want to see.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“The thing I was beginning to figure out about Sam and Grace, the thing about Sam not being able to function without her, was that that sort of love only worked when you were sure both people would always be around for each other. If one half of the equation left, or died, or was slightly less perfect in their love, it became the most tragic, pathetic story invented, laughable in its absurdity. Without Grace, Sam was a joke without a punch line.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It seemed like the best weapons in my life had always been the most innocuous: empty plastic bins, a blank CD, an unmarked syringe, my smile in a dark room.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“We sat like that for a long while, and when we stood up, all my sad things were in boxes, and Beck was my father.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There was something striking about her posture; something about the tilt to her head. She was like a beautiful and lonely piece of art, lovely but unreachable.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It was a strangely disorienting feeling, to have something you'd relied on for so long start to change, like finding out that gravity no longer worked on Mondays.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I always listen to you. Except when I don't.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'm bored. I need to be entertained. Sam is moping. I may kill him with his own guitar. It would give me something to do and also make him say something. Two birds with one stone!”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Are you high? Why are you never wearing a shirt?"

"I sleep naked," Cole said. He put both milk and sugar in my coffee. "As the day goes on, I put on more and more clothing. You should've come over an hour ago.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Of course he was a part of what I hated about myself. Everything was a part of what I hated about myself. It wasn't really personal.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I didn't understand how someone could be both God and the devil. How the same person could destroy you and save you. When everything I was, good and bad, was knotted with threads of his making, how was I supposed to know whether to love or hate him?”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'm always sure of what I do," he said. "Sometimes I was just never sure there was supposed to be a happy ending.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I was thinking lots of things, but most of them needed to stay thoughts, not words.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I thought, possibly, that what I really needed was to go where nobody knew me and start over again, with none of my previous decisions, conversations, or expectations coming with me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“My whole life, I had thought that my story was, again and again: Once upon a time, there was a boy, and he had to risk everything to keep what he loved. But really, the story was: Once upon a time, there was a boy, and his fear ate him alive.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I can't tell the difference," I said. "Between not fighting and giving up.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Cole grasped a handful of vials and syringes with one hand and dumped them on the island in front of me. They rolled and whirled in misshapen circles on the counter surface. "Here are our options."

My ears rang. "We have more than one?"

"Three, precisely," Cole said. He pointed to each in turn. "That one makes you a wolf. That one makes me a wolf. That one gives us both seizures.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“If she and Sam ever had kids, they'd be gluten-intolerant out of self-defence.”
Maggie Stiefvater, Forever

07/15/2011 "Sam and Grace. This is breaking my heart. Isabel and Cole. This is also breaking my heart."
07/16/2011
100.0% "Finished. Turning right around to read it again. I love these characters."
07/16/2011
100.0% "Re-Reading. Love this book. I love the contrast between the beautiful, very love-poem-relationship between Grace and Sam, and the grittier, sharper, uglier (but in a good way) relationship between Cole and Isabel."