Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Unknown Pleasures

Unknown Pleasures by Chris Ott

Jan 15, 2008

bookshelves: music
Read in January, 2008

I recently saw the film, Control, about the short, tragic life of former Joy Division front man Ian Curtis. I first became interested in Joy Division when I started listening to punk and post-punk music back in high school. One of my early favorites was New Order (the which formed after Curtis’ suicide). I knew that Continuum Books, of the famous 33 1/3 imprimatur, had an edition devoted to Joy Division’s first album. Unknown Pleasures by Chris Ott. Between the book and the movie, both of which were informed by Deborah Curtis’ memoir, Touching From A Distance. Some of the story was also covered in the book/film 24 Hour Party People as well. It seems that Curtis’ suicide was truly shocking for those who knew him and that his problems with epilepsy, being a father, and romantic disposition propelled him forward to his suicide. Joy Division’s legacy is a small body of haunting, gothic sounding music that inspired a legion of bands that followed in the post-punk wake. Ott’s book tends to focus more on the story behind the music and Curtis in particular, than the studio sessions-which is fine. It was an interesting and enjoyable read-chalk up another successful album essay by 33 1/3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unknown Pleasures.