Amber ~ The Reading Addict's Reviews > Lure

Lure by Deborah Kerbel

Sep 28, 2010

liked it
Read from January 29 to 30, 2011

Lure is a bit creepier than I expected it to be. While I knew it would be another ghost story, I didn't think it would be quite so haunting. Let's just say this isn't a great book to read late at night after watching horror movies with your friends... I'm speaking from experience here.

The story is told from the alternating views of Max, a teenager in the 21st century, and John, a boy who lived hundreds of year ago. Max's chapters were usually less interesting. He didn't really have his own story. He mostly just discovered John's secret messages and the mystery of the old house. John lived a sad, short life full of abuse and unhappiness. I couldn't help feeling bad for him.

The book really felt like a short story more than a novel. Things started quickly and ended quickly. I was able to read the book in one night. The ending took me by surprise. It was a little reminiscent of The Sixth Sense. It was one of those "How did I not see it coming?" types. While I liked how John's tale ended, I would have enjoyed some more closure in Max's story.

Overall, I don't have tons to say about Lure. It's a quick, interesting read about a restless soul and the boy he reaches out to. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes an intriguing, creepy mystery.

*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lure.

01/30/2011 page 75