Jane Stewart's Reviews > Die For Me

Die For Me by Karen Rose

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: romantic-mystery-suspense, 4-plus-star-romantic-suspense
Read in May, 2009

4.5 stars. The author weaves an excellent story, excellent voice, richly well done. Caution: too much horrific torture for me.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
The majority of the story is the solving of many mysteries. The way they are solved, the fact that they are getting so close to the killer without the killer knowing, and the plot mechanics were well done. This is mostly mystery and suspense. It is rare for me to like a mystery as much as I liked this one. I usually want more time spent on the relationship, but I was happy with the amount here. The cop and archaeologist drew me in. I enjoyed learning about them and being with them. This was not a cookie cutter book in any way. Not once was I bored. I enjoyed every page (notwithstanding the torture). There were some smart lines and smart ideas. I was not insulted by anything.

However, the torture may not appeal to some readers. The killer uses different medieval torture devices and weapons on several different people. The author showed the beginning of some torture scenes, but most of the scenes were told after the fact by the authorities describing what had been done to the victims. I didn’t have to live through the details of the torture scenes, but the descriptions of what had been done left me shuddering. The torture scenes were vividly in my mind when I would wake up in the middle of the night, and first thing the next the morning.

I had to deep breathe to calm myself when I finished the book. This is one of the worst villains I have ever read about – evil. Yes it had a happy ending for the main characters, but so many other people had died such horrible deaths, I was unsettled at the end. This author could be a “must read 5 star author” for me if she would use less haunting evil. The after effects and the horrible memories stayed with me for days. I’d love to see the author write with less horror. I can handle stories with rape, murder and some torture, but not so much of it. I was impressed with everything else about the author. She’s a great writer, but I don’t think I’ll buy the sequel which I suspect may be too strong for me. However, I plan to take a look at her in the future, hoping she might write something a little softer. If anyone knows of something she’s written that is softer, please let me know in the comment section below.

STORY BRIEF:
Sophie is an archaeologist who left her digs and research career to take a job in a small museum. She wanted to be near her grandmother and earn money to pay for a nursing home for her. Vito is a police detective assigned to the case of a dead body found in a field. His department asks Sophie for help in locating other bodies in the field using her archaeological equipment. They find several mutilated bodies. Sophie helps them identify the medieval torture devices used on the bodies. Sophie and Vito are drawn to each other, with some interesting conflicts.

DATA:
Story length: 558 pages. Swearing language: strong. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 1, 4 pages long. Setting: current day Philadelphia, PA, Dutton, GA, and New York City, NY. Copyright: 2007. Genre: romantic mystery suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die For Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Junifer (new)

Junifer Nice review and thank you especially for your included 'DATA', that is really helpfull.

Jane Stewart I'm glad you like DATA. Thanks Junifer.