Jim's Reviews > No, But I Saw the Movie: The Best Short Stories Ever Made Into Film

No, But I Saw the Movie by David Wheeler

Mar 31, 12

Read from March 15 to 31, 2012

Some of the greatest movies ever made have come from short stories, and in this collection David Wheeler reprints several wonderful examples. Most are very close to their subsequent film versions (ALL ABOUT EVE, THE FLY, STAGECOACH, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE), while others diverge enough to give intriguing suggestions of how a certain film could have been just a little different--HIGH NOON'S sheriff being an arthritic old man instead of a vigorous fellow not yet out of his prime, for example. Still others, such as the stories behind PSYCHO and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, differ substantially, so substantially that a film made to the precise parameters of the short story would resemble the film we already know only a little or even not at all. At best, these stories give a means of renewing our acquaintance with each film and seeing it with an altered and more precise perspective. I, for example, never quite grasped the full power of Nicolas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW until I read Daphne DuMaurier's story of the same title. This is an excellent collection of short fiction, far too short a collection, for my money. I would love to see a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No, But I Saw the Movie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James This book looks awesome, but I'm already upset "Who Goes There?" is not included. Look forward to the review.

message 2: by Leanne (new)

Leanne Hi Jim,
This is my first tweet. While very interested in your comment, big fan of classic film and short stories. I write myself. And my last name is Hitchcock, which you can imagine has led me down a certain trial... I am writing primarily to say how much I love your work on Supernatural and on Deadwood. Lord knows there are many of us who can relate to the characters you've created, and that you've given them depth far beyond the stereotypical backwoods gun packin' a-hole. Beautiful work. So glad Bobby is back...

btw. not many mention Hitchock, Roeg, Capra, Kubrek (sp) in the same mail...not a snob you or Mr. Wheeler. Ever read Rebecca? And what about the original version of 'the killers'? Not much relation to Hemingway, but what a movie! Eva Gardner and Bert Lancaster!

message 3: by David (new)

David >>HIGH NOON'S sheriff being an arthritic old man instead of a vigorous fellow not yet out of his prime, for example.

Another reason why Zinnemann's film was such a crock.

message 4: by Cyn (new) - added it

Cyn Ohhhh ... interesting book! I'll have to check it out.