Jane Stewart's Reviews > The Viscount Who Loved Me

The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: regency-romance
Read in May, 2008

Fun and enjoyable, even though I didn't like a few parts of the story.

It was fun seeing a relationship develop between Kate and Anthony. Kate disliked him from the start because he was a notorious rake. I enjoyed the clever bantering going on between the two of them. Eventually she learned Anthony's true nature and admirable qualities.

Because Anthony's father died early at age 38, Anthony feared that he too would die by age 38. In the Author's Note at the end of the book, the author explained that this fear is more common among men than it is among women. Therefore, readers might not be able to relate to it because it is more of a "guy thing." I can accept that, but I did not like Anthony's further interpretation that he must never fall in love because loving someone would "make him fear his own mortality" (page 323). Since he already feared he would die young, this reason for not loving was not logical. His decision to not fall in love was the basis for his actions, which did not work for me. See spoilers below.

Story brief: Anthony is 29 and thinks he has at most 9 years to live. He wants to marry someone to provide an heir, but he does not want to fall in love with her. He asks his brothers about available women who are pretty and intelligent. Even though he has never met her, he decides that he will marry Edwina who fits his requirements. Edwina trusts her older sister Kate and will only marry someone Kate approves of. Kate dislikes Anthony because of his reputation.

(view spoiler)

Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: three. Setting: 1814 London. Copyright: 2000. Genre: regency romance.

For a listing of my reviews of other Julia Quinn books, see my 3 star review of "The Duke and I."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Viscount Who Loved Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ronyell Awesome review Jane!!!

Jane Stewart Awwwww,,, Thanks Ronyell :)

Ronyell Jane wrote: "Awwwww,,, Thanks Ronyell :)"

You're welcome! :D