Tamora Pierce's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-ya-yr
Read in September, 2010

I was REALLY looking forward to this, and I was not disappointed! Tessa has come to London to find her missing brother, only to be plunged into a nightmare of kidnapping, war to the knife between the angel-like Shadowhunters and the Downworlders (vampires, warlocks, and shapeshifters), secrets, and betrayal. Rescued from the frightening pair called the Dark Sisters and taken into a Shadowhunter stronghold, Tessa is introduced to a whole new world of magic, good, and evil, populated by people like the testy Charlotte and her absent-minded scholar husband Henry, the clothes- and normal-husband-obsessed Jessamine, and two very attractive Shadowhunters, the mysterious and elusive Ben, and the kind Jem.

They live in a Victorian London that has been given more than a touch of steampunk by things like Tessa's clockwork angel pendant and the infernal devices that have been created to ignite a war between Downworlders and Shadowhunters. Tessa has a part to play, as do the Shadowhunters, if they can survive these warriors who keep fighting until they are cut to pieces. At the book's end you want to howl in dismay, because so many questions are left unanswered! Cassie, write fast!
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Elena I just finished this one last night! I adore it. I loved it a lot more than I expected. I can't wait for the next one! (But I'll have to, I suppose, since it's currently slated for a Sept. 2011 release.)

Samantha I definitely agree with the howling in dismay part. The ending left me desperate for the sequel!

Melliott I wanted to howl with dismay for wasting my time reading this book! I guess fellow authors are kinder than run-of-the-mill readers--Tamora, your writing is SO AWESOME that I am amazed you enjoyed this book as much as you did. (Seriously--Beka Cooper books are my all-time faves!)

Someone needs to take CC aside and explain to her the difference between a SERIAL and a SEQUEL. Serials STOP. Sequels leave enough loose threads that you are wanting the next book...but they don't just STOP DEAD like this!

Carmel Lovely to see you enjoyed this book Tamora as my daughter and I are keen followers of Cassie's 2 series "The Mortal Instruments" & the new "The Infernal Devices". I loved your review, but can I just correct you on something just to avoid any confusion. You mention a character Ben, but I think you meant Will who is one of the main characters as there is no Ben in this book. I hope you don't mind me mentioning this.
By the way my daughter is slightly addicted to your books!!!

Anthea I want to howl with dismay that you dislike a book just because it doesn't conform. I loved the book (as I loved the others) and think she's a wonderful writer. I can't wait for the next book.

Jem  Langford It's even better than The Mortal Instruments! Jem is my favorite character.