Jane Stewart's Reviews > Reclaim My Life

Reclaim My Life by Cheryl Norman

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: romantic-mystery-suspense, 5-star-romantic-suspense
Read in August, 2009

4.5 stars. I enjoyed the time I spent reading the book. I loved the developing relationship between Wil and Elizabeth.

STORY BRIEF:
Sofia witnessed a murder in Kentucky. Since the trial might not begin for a year or more, she was given a new identity (Elizabeth) and job through the Witness Security Program. Sofia was thin and athletic with long brown hair. Elizabeth is 33 pounds heavier with short blond hair. She wears no makeup and dresses in frumpy clothing. She is a literature professor at a college in a tiny town in northern Florida. The killer hired an assassin to find and kill Sofia. Wil has been joining Elizabeth for breakfast at the local diner for several months. Although he is attracted to her, she has kept the relationship platonic. Two women in town have been murdered. Elizabeth thinks there might be a connection to her situation. She can’t tell Wil, because she must keep her identity a secret.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
This was a worthwhile story. I loved the relationship between Wil and Elizabeth. I liked how Wil saw her true nature and depth instead of her less attractive appearance. I liked Elizabeth’s effect on Wil’s self esteem. I felt like I was there in this small town enjoying the people. I only had two problems (see spoilers below), but I could accept them because the rest of the story was good.

DATA:
Story length: 411 pages. Swearing language: moderate. Sexual language: none to mild. Number of sex scenes: 2. Total number of sex scene pages: 6. Setting: current day Drake Springs, Florida and Kentucky. Copyright: 2009. Genre: romantic mystery suspense.

OTHER BOOKS:
To date, I’ve read one other book by Cheryl Norman. My 3.5 star review of “Restore My Heart” Copyright 2007 was posted 10-23-08.

CAUTION SPOILERS:
The killer knew what town Sophia was in and had her picture. The killer thought three different women could be Sophia. That troubled me because I think the killer should have been able to analyze facial features and know that Elizabeth was the one. All she did was gain weight and change her hair color.

I was also troubled with something done too frequently in suspense stories. The heroine did something stupid that put her in harms way.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reclaim My Life.