Kelly Hager's Reviews > The Witches' Kitchen

The Witches' Kitchen by Allen Williams

Sep 29, 10

Read from September 28 to 29, 2010

Toad wakes up in the middle of a weird kitchen. I say “weird” because it keeps changing. It belongs to two witches (sisters) and it’s always dark. Incredibly dark. There is no sun in the kitchen. And again, things in it keep moving (but only when you don’t look). Oh, and also, most of the other things in the kitchen are not friendly.

But fortunately Toad does manage to make some friends. They set out to find the Widows, who will (hopefully) give them a way to get out of the kitchen and escape from the witches. (The witches have a plan for Toad; it is not a nice one.)

This is technically a middle-grade book (which I point out because the website directs you to the teen version of Little, Brown). I don’t think it would be too scary, but it’s hard to say for sure because I’m reading this as an adult and I don’t really spend time with little kids. So maybe read it first if you’re not sure if your kid could handle it.

I really enjoyed it, though. It’s a fun story and, like The Graveyard Book, reminds me of old-school Tim Burton. There are also really gorgeous (and creepy) pencil illustrations throughout the book.

Completely recommended. (And I think this would be a fantastic movie.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches' Kitchen.