Jenn's Reviews > Midori by Moonlight

Midori by Moonlight by Wendy Tokunaga

Sep 30, 10

Read from September 28 to 30, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I snagged this book off the library shelf because I knew I needed a bit of fluff to clear my head after a heavier read. It worked! This book is an innocuous little ditty about a girl who comes to America under false pretenses, partly of her own making, and finds love and success.

Midori Saito, obsessed with America and Americans, gets to America by way of an engagement that is partly infatuation and partly convenience - if she couldn't get herself out of Japan she'd be fighting off her parents and their match-making. Upon arriving in America her engagement plans fail and much like the soap operas she watches, she finds herself in a desperate situation. Becoming roommates with a charming Japanese man rather than going back to Japan, she finds herself in one odd-ball situation after another as well as finding herself more and more attracted to her roommate. And shock of shocks, she realizes her American dream - she becomes the pastry chef she dreamed of being, she is a hero who comes into a big reward so that when she becomes unemployed she has no money worries, and as for the roommate, don't they just end up together in the end. A very neat little package.

Predictable but fun, Midori is a likable character. This is a good read to keep in your bag for when you find yourself in waiting rooms or on public transportation. I would actually give it 2.5 stars - somewhere between it was okay and I liked it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midori by Moonlight.