Jane Stewart's Reviews > Megan's Mark

Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh

Sep 28, 10

bookshelves: erotic-paranormal-romance
Read in July, 2008

The heroine and plot just did not work for me. On balance, I did not enjoy it.

This is Book 1 of The Breed series which is an offshoot of the Feline Breeds series. The Genetics Council used genetic experimentation to create humans with animal DNA, called Breeds. The Breeds were tortured, experimented upon and kept in captivity, but eventually escaped. The Council and other groups are trying to capture and/or kill them.

I liked the alpha male hero Braden who was a Breed with lion DNA. The heroine is Megan, a human with empathic abilities. She trained to be a police officer, but was too affected by the emotions of other police officers, victims and criminals to do her job. She would feel too much pain, fear, hatred, etc, which caused her to make mistakes on the job. Someone wants to kill her and Braden is sent to find out who. He is there to help her, but she won’t help him help her. At first she doesn’t even tell him she is an empath which is part of the mystery. Later, he wants her to practice blocking emotions with his help, but she refuses for awhile. She is hostile and angry toward him and others. I had trouble finding something to admire about her or feeling sympathy for her. The plot didn’t interest me, described below. If a reader is looking for lengthy Breed sex scenes, I suggest the other Breed books. The ones in this book were similar, nothing new.

CAUTION SPOILERS:
A bad guy hires other bad guys to kill two breeds and Megan. Megan escaped the ambush. She and Braden return to the scene of the crime a couple of times trying to psychically figure out what happened. The bad guys chase them and there is a shoot out at the end. Most of the story seemed to be Megan stomping around being mad and not trying to do a good job in solving the mystery.

DATA:
Sexual language: strong/erotic. Number of sex scenes: six, most were several pages long. Setting: 2023 small town in southern New Mexico and Virginia. Copyright: 2006. Genre: erotic paranormal romance.

OTHER BOOKS:
For a listing of my reviews of other Lora Leigh books, see my 4 star review of “Tempting the Beast” posted on 6/30/08.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Megan's Mark.