Sara Q's Reviews > Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation

Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: library, wishlist, creativity, non-fiction, recommend
Recommended to Sara Q by: TED Talk & lots of other websites
Read from December 08 to 27, 2010

Reading: I enjoyed his 1997 book "Interface Culture" and I'm already enjoying this one, too. Lots of food for thought about how ideas come together.

Finished: It's been a few days since I finished the book, and I still have a lot to digest from it. I highly recommend this for anyone who might be trying to tap into their own creativity, but especially if you're wanting to feel more creative at work. I did skim over a lot of the more technical scientific examples of innovation, and have a lot of questions about the big list at the end, but the chapters about innovative environments gave me plenty to investigate, especially as my library begins a project that could lead to major renovation.

Basically, he's saying that the more ideas you are exposed to, the better your ideas will be. That ideas need time to incubate, so write them all down (he has a beautiful section on the commonplace book) and revisit them later. That diverse networks and diverse hobbies make for some truly amazing discoveries (such as Gutenberg basing his famous invention on a wine press -- I love that. Books from wine!).

One of the first things this book has me reconsidering is my news feeds. When I look at my Twitter and RSS feeds, I see way too much about libraries and technology. I need to mix this up, bring in sources from other areas. So if you have some non-library, non-techie suggestions, let me know!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Good Ideas Come From.

12/18/2010 page 85