Wendy's Reviews > Treason's Harbour

Treason's Harbour by Patrick O'Brian

May 03, 13

bookshelves: historical-fiction, patrick-o-brian, because-i-can-t-not-read-the-sequal, read-book-because-i-like-the-author
Read from April 10, 2012 to May 03, 2013, read count: 1

I started this book over a year ago ... Probably for me, the longest period of time between the start and finish of a book.

It's hard for me to explain why I like these books so much. Some of them aren't terribly exciting by any means. I think it's the nostalgia of a simpler time when ships were sailing in the sea and people were communicating with letters for the most part.

Sometimes I hate technology. it just seems to rule our world so much and I long for time when people actually had to use their intelligence to write a letter instead of using text speak.

1st vocab word of this book:

Holden was already sitting at his old shipmate's table, one hand holding a glass of wine, the other stretched out, pointing at a singularly magnificent diamond spray in Jack Aubrey's hat. 'What, what is that?' he cried.
'It is a chelengk,' said Jack with some complacency. 'Ain't I elegant?'

chelengk: It was a turban ornament consisting of a central flower with leaves and buds, and thirteen upward-facing rays.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treason's Harbour.

07/19/2012 page 45
04/10/2013 page 101
27.0% "oh! the innuendo! I'm just cracking up at his ability to play with words. :)"
04/15/2013 page 203
55.0% "That was a shocking death!!!"
04/18/2013 page 295
80.0% "Preserved Killick, you are a great character.. :)"
05/03/2013 page 340
92.0% ""Oh you...unskilled fellow!""
05/03/2013 marked as: read