Jrobertus's Reviews > American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House

American Lion by Jon Meacham

196037
Sep 28, 2010

This is a fascinationg narrative about Jackson's life and personality, but also about American history in a generally unfamiliar era of our past. Jackson was raised in difficult times, but his personal strength and determination drove him to the highest office in the land. He was a great patriot and alsways acted in the interests of the American nation. It is easy to misunderstand this slave holding Indian fighter when viewed through a contemorary lens, but Meacham puts you into the Jacksonian time, and it becomes clear he was about as great a man as the times could produce. The young nation was truly menaced by England, France, and Indians, and if you beleive in what America stood for and was to become, then you will admire Old Hickory. Preserving teh young nation required men of action, and he was the man. THe book gave me a cleared understanding of the various sectonal and economic issues of the time, and also showed that our politics have always been mean spirited and devisive; I guess that happens when people have strong feeling about what is to be done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Lion.