Armand's Reviews > The Dead: James Joyce's Famous Story Annotated

The Dead by James Joyce

Let’s be honest- if you are actually reading this, you already have a sense of what to expect from James Joyce. Obviously, the man is a master story teller who a bring a poets touch to fiction- someone who seeks to chart the human soul. The Dead is worth reading and rereading.

Instead, in the review, I want to take focus on the specific edition that I read. I picked up a kindle edition of the Dead (not The Dubliners in its entirety, but just The Dead, by itself) from Coyote Canyon press. A few things impressed me about this edition:

1. It was formatted for ebook, so I didn't run into any funny formatting issues that I sometimes see when I book is quickly translated to ebook.

2. It was only 99 cents to upload.

3. There are active hyperlinks to the annotations (of which there are about 90). The annotations are helpful in learning more Ireland in the early 1990's, and even more helpful is that (in Kindle) you can click on the link, read the annotation and then click the BACK button and return to where you left off in the story.

Finally, here are a few quotes from the story:

Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark, mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead.

09/28/2010
10/01/2010
30.0% "To follow the voice, without looking at the singer's face, was to feel and share the excitement of swift and secure flight." Joyce"
10/14/2010
45.0% "...but we are living in a skeptical and, if I may use the phrase, a thought-tormented age: and sometimes I fear that this new generation, educated or hyper-educated as it is, will lack those qualities of humanity, of hospitality, of kindly humor which belonged to an older day..."
show 4 hidden updates…