Rose Ann's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Dec 31, 13

bookshelves: read-in-2010, favorites
Read from November 06 to 10, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I don't know if this book is affecting me the way it is because I've been reading so much fluff recently, or if it is because this situation is so very possible and real?

It is compelling, emotional, disturbing, bitterweet, haunting

okay the rest has more info, so if you dont want to know details...do not read any further!

SPOILERS BELOW..........

I dont even know where to start...holy crap...lol
I found so many things about it incredible.
I love that it is written in 5 yr old Jack's perspective (voice)
I found it incredible how she had kept such a "normal" routine for Jack. (All the activities, phys ed, songs, stories)
Sending light signals, screaming....everything described in a 5yr old voice!
The whole escape had me sitting on edge, I could not read fast enough!
I cant think of the right words, but I found the whole situation overwhelming...for both Jack and his Mom in such different levels!
After the escape, Jack felt that Room was his safe place....that's all he ever knew to be "real". He wanted to go back.
All of the little things that are so new to him...walking up/down stairs, people talking to him face to face, he's and she's and trying to understand that all of the outside world was also real..just like his 11ft square Room. Fresh air, grass, shoes, interacting with someone other than his mother....
Sensory overload which he had trouble taking it all in at times.
I found it interesting that he was so intelligent is many ways, but not socially.
I couldnt believe that she tried to kill herself....I would have been pissed with the book if she died. But with her staying at the Clinic while Jack stayed with his Grandma...really helped him grow in the outside world, and learn to seperate from his mother.
I think it ended well.
I found it interesting how he thought Room looked so much smaller, when they went back to look.
Favorite thought of Jack's: "Buddy is man talk for sweetie" When his Uncle Paul called called him "buddy"

I definetely need at least a few days to absorb it all before I can even think about starting another book. My mind is reeling!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

11/06/2010 page 43
11/08/2010 page 130
40.0% "I havent read an "Oh My God, I can't put this book down" kind of book in awhile. This is one of those books."
show 1 hidden update…

Maria Elmvang I couldnt believe that she tried to kill herself....I would have been pissed with the book if she died.

I know! I felt the same way. There was also a point where I was afraid something would happen to Jack, which would have made for a powerful ending, but I would have HATED it.

Amazing book!

Christi your review says everything I was thinking about this book but couldn't put into words. I loved this book. I was afraid to start it because of the subject matter. I think hearing the story from Jack's point of view really humanizes their ordeal and makes what Ma did to keep him safe all the more extraordinary.