Christopher McKitterick's Reviews > The Golden Age

The Golden Age by John C. Wright

Sep 28, 10

Read in April, 2003

I'm really impressed with this post-Singularity novel (and the follow-ups). This appears to be a first novel, and the copyedit was less-than-impressive (what's up with copyeditors these days?), but when I read this book in 2003, I found it the most inventive thing I'd read since LAST AND FIRST MEN. The very first page hooked me, and I couldn't put it down afterward. Wright creates a truly unique society and fashions it in such fascinating detail that you feel yourself thinking, "SF until now has only touched on these themes."

Because this is the first of a series and not a stand-alone novel, there's no conclusion. Not really even a satisfactory partial-conclusion - this is truly a three-volume novel. Wright does a bang-up job in the next volumes, so you can safely get started now.

Think Stapledon crossed with Stephenson. Wright has written exactly my kind of book, so even if he hadn't done such a fantastic job of world-building from the largest to the smallest magnitudes, I still would have been given him the benefit of the doubt and read it all. But here is such a story, with such personal tragedies of types impossible in a world not of The Golden Age, and with such a littering of clever inventions, that all I can say is that you must read it!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Age.