tarawrawr's Reviews > Rival

Feb 15, 11

bookshelves: released-wishlist
Read from November 23 to 24, 2010

Original post - http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/?p=1736

Wow. I did not expect to love Rival as much as I did. I was pretty hesitant about starting it because it sounded like there was going to be very little romance and kissing, and mainly just about the history between the two girls.

Which is mostly true. I mean, that is the point of the book, I think. That there’s more to being a teenage girl than boys. There’s pressure and stress and even friendships are hard to maintain. I thought Rival did an excellent job of showing this other perspective and it really meant a lot to me. Don’t get me wrong – there’s definitely cute boys and boy drama, but it all ends back at up at Katherine and Brooke.

I loved both of the protagonists – Brooke and Katherine. There was no way for me to choose which one I wanted to root for, which one I identified with the most because there were elements of both girls that really stood out to me and I could easily relate to. Really, though, they were both realistic characters and although there were elements of their lifestyles that I couldn’t identify with/don’t know anyone who can (Brooke, for the most part), they really felt like teenage girls to me. Their mood swings, jealousy, peer pressure, pressure in general – it reminded me a lot of my own high school experiences.

Maybe it doesn’t have to be music, or money from scholarships, but there’s always something in high school that manages to put that load of pressure on you, and that’s what I liked about this book. Even though this book was specifically about the music competition and the pressure, there was a lot more to it.

I loved the ending and the progression of the storyline. I’m usually worried about flashbacks – sometimes they interrupt the flow of the story, but it really worked in Rival.

I would absolutely recommend Rival. Seriously. It’s a fantastic debut and very original for a contemporary young adult book. I can’t wait to see more from Sara Bennett Wealer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rival.

11/23/2010 page 275
82.0% "I am really enjoying this. I will definitely be getting my own copy."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Wealer Hi, Tara! I'm thrilled you liked it. Thank you so much for the review, and Happy Thanksgiving! <3 Sara

Gabrielle Carolina dying to read this one myself, I'm so glad you liked it, Tara!

message 1: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy I want this one!!! I love the cover!!!