Xavier's Reviews > Bronx Masquerade

Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes

Oct 19, 10

Read from September 28 to October 07, 2010

I think this book by Sharon G. Flake was good because, she put a lot of dialogue in it.I saw that she showed that the characters in this book had more maturity (unlike "The Skin I'm In")and they had a lot more serious problems. I personally think that this book connects to all of the children currently in school.
This is a warning the following is full of SPOLIERS!!!

I noticed in the book that it was more of a life of high school kids today,of the 21st century. The main character, Wesley Boone was a trouble maker who is famous/known for being the kid who is "bad to the bone."For example, Wesley does not do his homework and all he does is use excuses to stay out of trouble. I see it as a sign for help because, I think he would'nt be failing and not mindful of what he does unless no one pays attention to him and his teachers gave up on him. I see it that way because the way he acts in the story proves that he does not care about his education. I also feel that he is doubtful of himself, he is never thriving to learn, study, or graduate. I think that Wesley does'nt think ahead to the point that he can set a goal for himself and move toward that goal. I also noticed that Wesley is an extremmly bad influence on students at his school. I see it that Wesley loves to be the center of attention. For example, Wesley has a friend named Tyrone, Tyrone knows right from wrong so, Tyrone thinks ahead to a point in his life where he can set a gola for himself. Along the way, Tyrone always happens to be more focused on his work than Wesley. So Wesley always puts Tyrone off track. He usually does that by using one of Tyrone's hobbies against his future. In the book, it says that Tyrone loves to sing and rap. So, Wesley would take Tyrone of track by saying that if Tyrone pays attention he can't be a famous rapper.
Towards the middle and end parts of the story, project comes out that say thta the students have to complete a poem for english class. Everyone completes it and the class realizes that they enjoy it so they ask the teacher if they can have more poem writings and so the teacher says yes. The teacher names them "Open Mike Fridays." As the week goes on kids in his clas read their poems and they express their feelings through their writing. Then Wesley learns that a few of those students in his class have a lot more serious problems then he does and they just learn to deal with it. For example, in one of the poems a female student wrote that she was harrassed and beaten for her actions.
At the end of the book the whole class acts as a family and is united by the poems they have written. Wesley even cleans up his act and learns that he should set himself a goal in life and learns that he is not he center of attention. Wesley even is destined to do all of his work and participate as much as possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bronx Masquerade.

09/28/2010 page 33