Amy's Reviews > Seven Little Australians

Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner

Oct 16, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books, library, world-homeschool
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Really loved this! Definitely not a reflection on modern Australia. But my girls love reading "olden day" stories and understood just fine that this was the "olden days" in Australia. It sparked all sorts of great discussion. Heidi really enjoyed when they went out to visit Esther's big land owner parents. Talked about making/eating damper and the harshness of the land. One thing I love about reading old children's literature is that there were no innappropriate themes. Every time I started to get nervous that it might take that direction it turned out to be completely fine (I'm so used to the garbage that get's woven even into children's lit. today!!!)

The ending was sad but again, sparked GREAT discussion. We liked that the family gathered round and showed concerned for their sister, and that she found comfort in the scriptures. Also, that the older sister had memorized scriptures.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Little Australians.