Juliet's Reviews > Nation

Nation by Terry Pratchett

Sep 27, 10

Read in September, 2010

A great read! Nation works on many levels, and although it was marketed towards a YA readership, the novel has plenty of substance to keep adult readers thinking. The two main characters, an island boy just coming to adulthood and a shipwrecked Victorian girl whose father is 139th in line for the British throne, are vastly different in cultural background and life experience, but when put to the test, they find they have much in common. Both Mau and Daphne are brave souls with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

Highly recommended for all readers. Don't assume this is a Pratchett book in the Discworld vein - there's very little madcap humour here, but plenty to entertain you and provide food for thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan It sounds really good. Is it very historically acurate when it comes to little things like dress and speach patterns? I can never really apreciate books unless the authors do the neccesary research. Life of Pi is good about that. If you haven't read it check it out. It is very thought provoking.

Juliet Nation is fantasy as much as history, but to me the details of the Edwardian-style world seemed very accurate.

Kerry You were right Ms. Marillier, this was a VERY good read. I thought a lot was pretty humoring. Glad that I took your advice to read it and now i'm trying to get The Distant Hours from my local library. Unfortunately i'm 103 next to get it so I won't be reading it for a while :)