Trish's Reviews > The Prophecy of the Stones

The Prophecy of the Stones by Flavia Bujor

Sep 27, 10

Read in September, 2010

How much was lost or added in translation? The writing is both mature (for a 12-year-old) and blatant fairy princess fodder. I listened to the audio book with the children whenever we got in the car and I felt it was entertaining enough. The reader made all kinds of voices and I felt she did a good job even though her male characters sounded lazy, like surfer dudes.

I don't mean to criticize, but the best thing about this book is that it was written by a pre-teen. She was patient and tried to put us through the ringer with keeping things from the reader, but in the end, she lost her patience or pacing of the story. Characters were appearing where they needed to be instead of describing the days of walking to get there as they did in the beginning of the story. Other characters were spewing secrets that were years in the making--totally uncharacteristic. I don't think I got the present-day-Paris character's purpose. The ending baffled me, like it was unfinished and the writer just wanted to be done.

I laughed when I read that Death had gone on strike and was feeling depressed and unappreciated. She became my favorite character as I imagined a pre-teen making Death speak of her need to lose weight. That was funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophecy of the Stones.