Casey (The Bookish Type)'s Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Sep 06, 11

Read from May 29 to June 01, 2011

Dark. Sexy. Hilarious. Mysterious. Heart-pounding. Hair-raising. In short, this novel is incredible. In her unforgettable debut, Michelle Hodkin crafts a spine-tingling tale of death and desire that will leave readers clamoring for more. Mara Dyer is the best kind of heroine -- cynical and witty, biting and deeply flawed. Her struggles with insanity are enthralling, and her search for truth gripping. In her upside down world, it's impossible to tell what's real and what's just a terrible nightmare.

Mara is sharp and sassy, refusing to let anyone walk over her -- whether it be her controlling mother, the school's requisite Queen Bee, or even snarky boys with British accents and smoldering looks. Noah Shaw had me at "British accent." He is simultaneously sexy and infuriating, a bewitching combination that will leave readers (and Mara) befuddled. Though he possesses the casual arrogance of the drop-dead gorgeous, he has more than a few secrets of his own, revealing a sweet vulnerability that makes him utterly irresistible. Noah's hauteur is a mask -- one that crumbles in the face of Mara's unflinching directness. They have both met their match, and their delicious dynamic will leave readers ravenous for more.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer features some of the best flirtatious banter I've ever read. Noah and Mara are intellectual equals who can keep pace with one another's rapid-fire minds (and mouths). Their smart and snappy repartee will have readers writhing with laughter even in the midst of this psychological nightmare. The back-and-forth is constant, an unexpected contrast to the hidden horrors lurking just beneath the surface. Thankfully, Hodkin steers clear of the unbelievable love-at-first sight, instead letting their love/hate chemistry burn its way into an undeniable attraction. Noah and Mara are like fire and gasoline, and Hodkin ratchets up the sexual tension until readers are ready to explode.

It's impossible to know what's coming next in this twisting, turning thriller of a romance. Hodkin keeps the answers both Mara and readers so desperately desire just out of reach, making the search for truth all the more tantalizing. As Mara quickly discovers, not knowing is the scariest thing of all. The darkly surreal atmosphere will keep readers on the edge of their seats while the twisted, voyeuristic deaths will leave them reeling. Mara's trippy psychological episodes are an emotional thrill ride, all culminating in a mind-blowing conclusion that will leave readers stunned and begging for the sequel NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Casey (The Bookish Type) Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“Wait," I said as Noah slipped a book from a shelf and headed toward the door. "Where are you going?"
"To read?"
But I don't want you to.
"But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents?" I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.
"So why are you going to read when I'm right here?”

Michelle Hodkin
“You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you."
My tongue warred with my mind. "Today," I whispered.
Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You could start a fire with the heat between you two."
"You're mistaking bitter animosity for heartfelt affection.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I hate you," I muttered.
Noah smiled wider. "I know.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You smell good," he whispered into my neck. He was warm against me. Instinctively, I arched back into him and smiled.
"Really?"
"Mmm-hmm. Delicious. Like bacon.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I was going to kiss him, and I was going to regret it. But at that moment, I couldn't bring myself to care.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're supposed to say, 'All I want is your happiness. I'll do whatever it takes, even if it means being without you.'"
"Sorry," Noah said. "I'm just not that big of a person.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Noah shifted on the bed, and the oddest crunching sound came underneath him. I looked, really looked, at the bed for the first time.

"What," I asked slowly, as I eyed the animal crackers strewn all over it, "the hell?"

"You were convinced they were your pets," Noah said, not even trying to suppress his laughter. "You wouldn't let me touch them.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jeffanem Another review tease. : ) I can't wait to see what you thought about Mara. I loooooved it!

Casey (The Bookish Type) Jeffanem wrote: "Another review tease. : ) I can't wait to see what you thought about Mara. I loooooved it!"

I did too! Michelle Hodkin is AH-MAZ-ING =D