A Canadian Girl's Reviews > Between Here and Forever

F 50x66
May 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, simon-schuster, 3-stars
Read in May, 2011

One of my favourite YA contemporary authors is Elizabeth Scott. So when I heard that her new novel Between Here and Forever was available on Galley Grab, I knew I had to read it. Unfortunately, Between Here and Forever didn’t captivate me as much as some of Scott’s other books like Stealing Heaven or Perfect You because I didn’t really like the main character of Abby.

Scott made Abby a girl with self-esteem issues – a problem that anybody can relate to. But, Abby got annoying after awhile since a large portion of the book is spent reading about her bemoan how much she’s a nobody or hates her sister, Tess, for being so perfect. On top of that, Abby kept misinterpreting compliments; and when it’s blatantly obvious that Eli likes her, Abby repeatedly tells him to wait until Tess wakes up because then he’ll fall in love with her like everyone else.

Despite getting fed up of Abby, I found Between Here and Forever to be a fast read that tackled themes like appearance vs. reality, sexuality and racism very well. Scott’s portrayal of OCD as a disorder was also very realistic because it lets the reader grasp just how much severe OCD can affect daily living.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and Forever.