Erica's Reviews > Song Yet Sung

Song Yet Sung by James McBride

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from September 27, 2010 to February 01, 2011

I started reading this for a series of book discussions on various aspects of regional history in Dover DE. I never made it to the discussion, but I did enjoy the book. I suspect I would have enjoyed it more if I would have found larger chunks of time in which to read it, but... It has made me very curious about the Underground Railroad, and the complex simplicity of the methods used in disseminating information to one another.

There was one aspect of the book I found both fascinating and disconcerting at the same time. The Dreamer had visions of the future which of course struck her contemporaries as outlandish, but to the reader in this day and age, it was of course eeirely accurate. I didn't really know what to make of this. The author kept returning to those dreams, but they were only partially developed, it seemed to me. I would probably have to read it again to make more sense of things, figure out if I missed something this first time through. But, that is the English major in me talking, not the person with a "to read" list encompassing far more titles than I could ever get to in two life times -- and growing every day!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song Yet Sung.