Michaela's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Mar 25, 11

bookshelves: angels, at-library, fave-series, books-i-ve-reviewed
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really, really, liked this book. It's so different from all the other YA Angel books out there that seem to be filling up the shelves these days.

We read the book through the eyes of Clara, and angel-blood trying to figure out her Purpose.

This book had a great plot and I absolutley LOVE Tucker. He and Clara are perfect for each other. I never expected that Christian would be an angel-blood too, and my mind is still reeling trying to figure out what their Purpose together could be. Also, what about Jeffery? Why were his wings so dark? Was he really out looking for Clara when she and Christian caught him sneeking back home? And what is the connection between her mother and the Black Wing Sam? Will she ever tell Wendy about the angel-bloods? Such a great book with so many questions that hopefully will all be answered in Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Michaela Liked

Cynthia Hand
“So often we only do what we think is expected of us, when we are capable of so much more.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "But she gave me the perfect gift."
Clara: "What?"
Tucker: "You.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Why would you tell me now if it's against the rules?
Clara: Because I love you.”

Cynthia Hand
“What do you see in a guy like Christian Prescott?" he asked me that night when he dropped me off from prom. And what he was really saying then, what would have come through loud and clear if I hadn't been so blind was, why don't you see me?

Cynthia Hand
“Sam: "I always thought you were the most beautiful of all the Nephilim."
Meg: "That's ironic because I always thought you were the ugliest of all the angels.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, you feel like driving today?" he asks. "I don't want to walk to the bus stop. It's too cold."
"You feel like dying today?"
"Sure. I like risking my life. Keeps things in perspective.”

Cynthia Hand
“Have you ever been to a place you're supposed to love, but all you can think about is home?”

Cynthia Hand
“Oh, come on. You eye-hump him all through British History.”

Cynthia Hand
“Hey, Carrots," he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“Are you any good at it?"
"Pulling idiots out of the snow? I'm the best.”

Cynthia Hand
“I beat at him uselessly with my fists. I scream. My mind races. I'll pee on him. Puke, bite, scratch. Sure, I'll lose, but if he's going to mark me I am going to mark him, too, if such a thing is possible.”

Cynthia Hand
“Silver Avalanche coming up the driveway," calls Jeffrey from upstairs.
"What are you, security?" I call back.”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm looking at you. Why are you always trying to hide how pretty you are?”

Cynthia Hand
“Insert the biggest, most awkward silence in the history of big awkward silences.”

Cynthia Hand
“In fact, I've essentially given up on the idea of flight altogether and accepted that I'm going to be an angel-blood who stays earthbound, a flightless bird, like an ostrich. Maybe, or in this weather, a penguin.”

Cynthia Hand
“What did you think I was?"
"A rude Hick."
"Geez, blunt much?”

Cynthia Hand
“Fine.” He smirks at me. “Nice to meet you, Carrots,” he says, looking directly at my hair. “Oh, I mean Clara.”
My face flames.
“Same to you, Rusty,” I shoot back, but he’s already striding away.”

Cynthia Hand
“And sometimes time really does stop.”

Cynthia Hand
“Think about Tucker. Think about a good memory, she whispers in my mind. Remember a moment when you loved him. And just like that, I do.

"What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asked me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, he grins. Unbelievable of how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him.
"Dam!" he says.

Cynthia Hand
“Dude. Hot Bozo. Best nickname ever.”

Cynthia Hand
“My hair is my best feature, long and wavy, bright gold with a hint of red, trailing behind me wherever I go like an afterthought.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker," I say. "I'm so glad you're still here."
I throw myself into his arms. He hugs me tightly.
"I couldn't leave," he says.
"I know."
"I mean, literally. I don't have a ride.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think the birds in the area are dying laughing watching me try not to crash.”

Cynthia Hand
“I feel like Cinderella sitting in the middle of the road with a pumpkin and a couple of mice, while Prince Charming charges off to rescue some other chick.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara: My heart doesn't belong to me anymore. It belongs to Tucker.”

Cynthia Hand
“Because if it's not her fault, it's God's, and I'm not ready to be pissed at the Almighty.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: "Today we ran into a mama grizzly with two cubs at the ridge off Colter Bay and Clara sang to it to make it go away."

Mrs. Avery: You sang to it?

Tucker: Her singing is that bad.”

“I’m flying!”

Of course, I’m not flying so much as coasting over the treetops like a hang glider or a freakishly large flying squirrel.”

Cynthia Hand
“I think he seriously believes that deflowering an angel could mean an eternity in fiery hell.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: Is it okay to kiss you?

Clara: What?

Tucker: I won't get struck by lightning?

Clara: (laughs) No lightning.”

Cynthia Hand
“I'm in love with Tucker Avery.”

Cynthia Hand
“Tucker: I'm glad it happened. because then I got to know who you really are.

Clara: Oh yeah? Who am I?

Tucker: A really, really spiritual, spoiled California chick.

Avery: Shut up.

Tucker: It's cool though. My girlfriend is an angel.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara: "I won't hurt you." Be not afraid.
His eyes flashed with anger like i've come right out and called him chicken.”

Cynthia Hand
“Have a care, Sir Tucker, lest you find yourself in the stockades."
He scoffs and looks at Mr. Erikson. "She can't do that, can she? She's not the ruler of this class. Brady is."
...
"You could strip him of his title," suggests Brady, apparently not minding at all that I have usurped his throne. "Make him a serf."
"Yeah," says Christian. "Make him a serf. Being a serf blows."
As a serf, poor Christian has already been killed several times in our class. Aside from dying of the Black Plague on the first day, he's starved to death, had his hands cut off for stealing a loaf of bread, and been run down by his master's horse just for kicks. He's like Christian the fifth now.”

Cynthia Hand
“I won’t be that girl who lets the guy treat her like crap and still fawns all over him.”

Cynthia Hand
“What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asks me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and a red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, wanting to laugh and he hasn't even told me the punch line.
He grins. Unbelievable how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him and how rare and beautiful is that?
"Dam!" he says.”

Cynthia Hand
“Clara's mother: Yes, and what could possible be more important to your life right now than Christian?

Clara: I'm going out with Tucker.”

Cynthia Hand
“Look closer. The river's its own world of fast and slow, deep and shallow, bright and shadowed. If you look at it like that, like a landscape where the fish live, it'll be easier to catch one.”

Cynthia Hand
“You are going to love the sports here. Snow skiing and water-skiing and rock climbing and all kinds of extreme sports. I give you full permission to hurl yourself off stuff.”

Cynthia Hand
“I wonder if the prayers of angel-bloods count more than regular people's.”

Cynthia Hand
“This man, this impostor of a man, can kill my body but he can't touch my soul.”

02/02/2011 page 200