Jenny's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, realistic-fiction, favorites
Read from November 11 to December 10, 2010

I listened to this book and I am really glad I did. There were three different narrators--Miss Skeeter, Aibilene, and Minnie. All three were really amazing! I can still hear their voices in my head and it really made the book come alive for me.

I usually do a list of things I liked and things I didn't like. I can't really do that here because there really wasn't anything I didn't like! This book was extremely well written and I loved the author's style. The storylines were compelling and brought forth so many different emotions in me, from happiness to sadness, to frustration and anger, to wistfulness. I don't really have any idea what it must have been like to be a black person in Mississippi in the sixties, but I found myself fuming at the narrow mindedness of the white people. The author does an outstanding job of making you feel like you are right there.

I am usually more of a supernatural genre reader, but this is probably my favorite book I have read in a long time. It ended just the way it needed to, but I wished it would have gone on longer...I wanted to see what else was in store for these characters that I became so attached to.

Read this book...It was great!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

alysa I can't wait to hear what you think about this one, I loved it. Especially the different types of characters. Happy reading.

alysa My sentiments exactly. I am so glad you loved the book, I did too. When I read it with my book club there was a lady who had grown up in Mississippi at that time and had a maid who did everything for her and her sibling. She rarely saw her mother and felt the maid was her mother and loved her entirely. She says her mother did treat her poorly and she did use her own bathroom in the garage. To this day she does not know what happened to her when the family moved, the children grew, and it was no longer accepted to treat a person that way. She said she still misses her and longs for the loving relationship she felt they had. It was very interesting to get her take on it.
I just have to ask...Did you love the pie story?

Jenny Absolutely loved the pie story!
I really hope the movie lives up to the book...Thanks for sharing your experience. It is hard to believe that these women trusted the maids to raise and nuture their children, but also believed they would spread diseases in the bathroom...it is so nonsensical!