Sarah's Reviews > Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism

Unstrange Minds by Roy Richard Grinker

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: memoir-biography, psychology, autism
Read from September 27 to October 13, 2010

My Review: It’s very refreshing to hear an optimistic, loving, nonjudgmental perspective from someone who is actually raising a child with autism. There are many reasons to feel stressed and, if you give in, you will find thousands more. As a social worker for children with autism and their families, I see first hand how easily parents can fall into the trap; desperation, guilt, shame, blame, depression, surrender. While parents are no where close to being responsible for their child’s autism, society fosters the belief that, in some way, they are. This perspective needs to change.

Mr. Grinker is a talented writer and a wonderful father. His family has gracefully adjusted to life with an autistic child and, throughout his book, he frequently describes the beauty and uniqueness that saturate their world. Rather than attempt to make lemonade from lemons, Mr. Grinker and his family have discovered the wonders and magnificence of the lemon itself.

The autistic reality is inherently extraordinary and beautiful. If we let go of expectations and simply join our loved ones in their own realities, autistic or not, we will find the joy that accompanies expanding our minds and embracing a different kind of world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unstrange Minds.