Celine's Reviews > The Child Thief

The Child Thief by Brom

Oct 19, 10

Read from September 27 to October 02, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Gave up on page 241. I have no idea what points to give it because I would give five stars for the amazing, brilliant, mind blowing world and characters. Seriously, vivid, nuanced, as original as hell and a concept that is out standing.

BUT I’m finding the book itself way too monotonous. Tonally it’s just very single note for me, and the violence is very repetitive and similar ( and over the top in a manner that wrecks most scenes for me. To see a loved one hung is tragic and sad, to see him hung and burned while dogs eat his legs and then eviscerated while still alive so the dogs can eat his guts while everyone stands about laughing is just so OTT as to make me roll my eyes.) It's a shame because there is such a subtle dexterity to the world and character building that I can't understand why the actual story wasn't told with equal lightness of touch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child Thief.

09/28/2010 page 35
10/01/2010 page 115
24.0% "Started off really enjoying this beautifully packaged book - but I must confess I'm getting a bit bored. It's a little one note so far."
10/02/2010 page 210
44.0% "this world is so rich, and the concept is brilliant. I still find myself wishing it wasn't so repetitive though."
show 1 hidden update…