Thomas Allen's Reviews > Ordinary Heroes

Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow

Sep 27, 10

liked it
Read in February, 2009

The book was mildly engaging and had a couple of exciting moments. But by and large, it was fair as a story.

The author seems to be confused. At times he refers to the soldiers of WWII as if they were unheroic barbarians and animals, and at other times he talks about them as if they were saints of the Earth.

The author also tried to convey the brotherhood of men who have seen combat. He unfortunately did not achieve this. He even tried to shock the reader (or listener in this case) into the belief of brotherhood with several revelations that turned out to be not so surprising.

In the end, a bland but fair read. But if you are looking for a great book with soldiers fighting for the man next to them, you will unfortunately need to look elsewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Heroes.

Alison Hello Thomas, You're not distinguishing between the author and the fictional narrator. I think the fact that the narrator sometimes sees combat as valiant and other times as brutal and meaningless is intentional. I don't think this is meant to be a novel about brotherhood or fighting soldiers and I doubt that it was written to shock. To me, in my humble opinion, it's about identity, about the stories we tell about our own lives, about our ability or inability to recreate ourselves. I loved the mother's final conversation, in which she said that the time we're living in now is just as real as anything else that's ever happened to us. That the present is important. I loved that. It's funny that we saw the book so differently. The nature of fiction, I guess.
~Alison

Thomas Allen Alison wrote: "Hello Thomas, You're not distinguishing between the author and the fictional narrator. I think the fact that the narrator sometimes sees combat as valiant and other times as brutal and meaningless ..."

Thank you for your comment and for bringing up another point of view I hadn't considered.