Tammy ~NovelOpinion's Reviews > Grimspace

Grimspace by Ann Aguirre

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: 1st-in-series, scifi-romance, sci-fi
Read from March 26 to 28, 2011

Fantastic read! Great world-building and character realization. Ann Aguirre does not patronize her readers by over-simplified science. I love hard sci fi and yet desire a bit of romance mixed in. I hate it when the an author throws in futuristic backdrops and scenery, light on technical details and depth just to set up the background for a non-historical bodice ripper. You really can have both Sci fi as well as a nice romance brewing. Not only did Anne Aguirre do this, she also added belivable characters and interesting concepts.
Grimspace allows for faster than light travel. It is a parallel 'space' where individuals born with the J-Gene can enter, fold space, and select destination. Few people are born with this gene and even fewer are not under life-time contract to the Corp. Sirantha Jax has this gene and has been flying Grimspace for the Corp for years. She has made a high number of jumps without burning out but a tragic accident in which her Pilot/Lover and several passengers perish puts her on trial with the Corp as the only survivor and possible cause. Before she is sent to receive judgement, a rogue team kidnap her from her cell in order to use her for thier purposes.
I loved the all the characters, the different worlds and over-all plot. I ate this book up and will continue with this series. I will also seek out evey book Ann Aguirre has written because she just plain know how to tell a great story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimspace.

03/26/2011 page 150
47.0% "Loving this series so far!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH It's a great story, isn't it? It kind of felt like a sci-fi TV series at times.

message 2: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Davie Tammy, you might might enjoy David Weber's Honor Harrington series as well. He definitely doesn't skimp on the tech and he creates the most amazing characters.

Tammy ~NovelOpinion AH wrote: "It's a great story, isn't it? It kind of felt like a sci-fi TV series at times."

Yes...that! I can't wait to get caught up on challenges so I can read more.

Tammy ~NovelOpinion Kathy wrote: "Tammy, you might might enjoy David Weber's Honor Harrington series as well. He definitely doesn't skimp on the tech and he creates the most amazing characters."

You know, I think I may have read at least one Honor book but it's been a long time. I need to check it out. Thanks!
btw: have you read
Elizabeth Bear? Her Jenny Casey seires is cool!

message 5: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Davie I'll check it out! Thanks.