Wendy F's Reviews > Dark Lover

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: 2010, bdb, 2011, vampires, my-lovers, 2012
Read from September 27, 2010 to February 04, 2012

Reread to prepare for Lover Reborn

Okay, so I've read this book 2 1/2 times now, so I suppose that I have to say that that pretty much disproves my original review of this book below.

While I still don't necessarily like Wrath's look, I've since discovered Jason Momoa and fallen in love! So I now not only picture him as Wrath, I now have a new appreciation for that long haired masculine look.

I also still thought parts of it were cheesy. I mean, it follows the same outline most PNR's do. Badass man meets strong woman, fall in love but fights it, asks her to marry him, kidnapping, big battle, reconcile, I love you, then end.

BUT, the Brothers are amazing and this book really sets the ground work for the best PNR or Romance novel that I've ever read. Plus, it has some of the best most funny lines ever.

I'm actually taking it up one star this time, because I'm finding that I like it more then I thought.

*First read 11/19/2010*

This book started off pretty cheesy, and I didn't think the description of Wrath was hot at all. I'm not big for the long black hair, with widow's peak. Then he was huge and his jaw was firm, add the 'cigarello' and it just didn't do it for me. However about half way through it hit its stride and I couldn't put it down.

I already ordered the 6 box set of this series and I'm eager to read about Rhage, as he was one of my favorite brothers in the first one.

I'll recommend it... but only to those who I think will appreciate this type of urban fantasy/romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

Quotes Wendy F Liked

J.R. Ward
“Welcome to the wonderful world of jealousy, he thought. For the price of admission, you get a splitting headache, a nearly irresistable urge to commit murder, and an inferiority complex. Yippee.”

J.R. Ward
“I'm going to talk to her."
"And how's that going to go? You're just going to walk up to her and say, 'Hey, I know you've never seen me before, but I'm your dad. Oh, and guess what? You've won the evolutionary lottery: You're a vampire. Let's go to Disneyland!”

J.R. Ward
“Whoa. Fangs. She had fangs.

She leaned in, prodded them a little. Eating with those puppies was going to take some getting used to, she thought.

On impulse, she brought up her hands, turned her fingers into claws. Hissed.

Cool.”

J.R. Ward
“...Bringing the very heavens close enough to touch.
It was Zsadist.
His eyes closed, his head back, his mouth wide open, he sang.
The scarred one, the souless one, had the voice of an angel.”

J.R. Ward
“The warrior (Zsadist) rolled his black eyes. "Come on, man. What does it matter to me? You, Tohr. Britney Spears.”

J.R. Ward
“W:"At least I'm not pussy-whipped!"

T:"Nice. Fucking. Suit."

--Wrath to Tohr”

J.R. Ward
“I can smell the sex coming off you right now. I could take you down on this sidewalk and be up that skirt of yours in a heartbeat. And you wouldn't fight me, would you?"

"Now, we can be civilized and wait until we get home. Or we can get down to it right here. Either way, I'm dying to come inside of you again, and you're not going to say no." - Wrath to Beth”

J.R. Ward
“There was a loud scraping noise as five chairs slid backward. The men rose as a unit. And started coming for her. She looked to the faces of the two she knew, but their grave expressions weren't encouraging. And then the knives came out. With a metallic whoosh, five black daggers were unsheathed. She backed up frantically, hands in front of herself. She slammed into a wall and was about to scream for Wrath when the men dropped down on bended knees in a circle around her. In a single movement, as if they'd been choreographed, they buried the daggers into the floor at her feet and bowed their heads. The great whoomp of sound as steel met wood seemed both a pledge and a battle cry. The handles of the knives vibrated. The rap music continued to pound. They seemed to be waiting for some kind of response from her.
"Umm. Thank you," she said.
The men's heads lifted. Etched into the harsh planes of their faces was total reverence. Even the scarred one had a respectful expression. And then Wrath came in with a squeeze bottle of Hershey's syrup.
"Bacon's on the way." He smiled. "Hey, they like you."
"And thank God for that," she murmured, looking down at the daggers.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »